When we discover that we are expecting a baby, one of the many things we start thinking about from the first months of pregnancy is how take care of our body, prevent stretch marks and help the skin in this phase of great change. The increase in the volume of the belly, the hormonal changes, the extra pounds put pressure on the skin, which may not be flexible enough to withstand the tension.
The skin, in fact, is an elastic organ that adapts to changes in the body, but sometimes, just like in pregnancy, these changes occur too suddenly and this increases the risk of the skin tearing causing stretch marks, or otherwise called atrophic striae. These are signs that are very similar to the scars that form when the skin tries to repair damaged parts that are excessively stretched. This is why it is very important choose the right products to moisturize, nourish and soften the skin properly, and use them daily. Among the most used and effective products there is Bio-Oil, the best-selling product in pharmacies for scars and stretch marks. *
How Bio-Oil works
The particular mix of substances contained in Bio-Oil acts in different ways:
- It favors the production of collagen which improves the elasticity, texture and tone of the skin;
- Minimizes the itchy sensation that occurs when stretch marks appear;
- Promote action disarrossante of the initial stages of stretch marks.
Dermatological studies conducted in Germany** proved that Bio-Oil guarantees visible results from the first weeks of treatment and its effectiveness is also demonstrated in 100% of consumers after only 8 weeks of treatment. Studies have also shown that its formula is suitable for sensitive and delicate skin as it is hypoallergenic.
Its formulation includes some natural ingredients and vitamins dispersed in an oily base which, devoid of oxygen, prevents the oxidation of functional ingredients and keeps their beneficial properties intact on the skin.
Let's see what they are and how they work:
- Calendula oil: has regenerative effects on cells and is indicated for the treatment of sensitive, damaged or sunburned skin. It has an anti-inflammatory action;
- Lavender oil: it is a natural antiseptic and has a soothing action on the skin;
- Rosemary oil ***: helps tone and condition the skin, but also has soothing and antiseptic properties;
- Chamomile oil: has calming properties on inflammation, has soothing and calming effects on the skin;
- Vitamin E: guarantees deep hydration to the skin. Known for its antioxidant effect, it makes the skin soft and supple
- PurCellin Oil ™: it is an innovative synthetic ingredient, specially designed to reproduce the exclusive effect of an oil present in nature in water birds, not greasy and not very dense. Thanks to this exclusive ingredient Bio-Oil absorbs quickly without leaving unpleasant traces of grease on the skin. Furthermore, its emollient action contributes to making the skin softer, smoother and well nourished.
Bio-Oil in pregnancy
During pregnancy it is important start from the first months to use an anti stretch mark product that hydrates the skin and makes it more elastic and resistant to the major changes it will have to face in the following months. Applied daily during pregnancy twice a day in the most critical areas (thighs, hips, abdomen, breasts) and most exposed to the risk of stretch marks, Bio-Oil helps prevent the formation of the same and makes the skin more uniform, reducing the presence of imperfections. It is also advisable to use it even after childbirth, because sudden weight loss can stress the skin and make it not very elastic.
Bio-Oil for the daily skin care of mothers
Bio-Oil can be used every day, especially in the case of very dehydrated skin, but also to combat skin spots and discolorations and to slow down the aging process.
Let's see how it works:
- DehydrationSkin dehydration occurs when there is a 10% drop in normal skin hydration levels. In this case, the formulation of BioOil ensures that vitamin E and vegetable oils can transmit the beneficial properties to the skin and deeply hydrate it. Bio-Oil should be applied at least 2 times a day for at least 3 months with a circular massage. Regular use helps maintain the right degree of hydration.
- Skin discoloration: Bio-Oil is effective against skin spots and hyperpigmentation (obvious patches of the skin that appear darker in color than the surrounding skin). Bio-Oil helps to even out the complexion of the skin thanks to vitamins and bisabole (contained in chamomile oil) which help regulate the melanogenesis process. Bio-Oil should be applied twice a day for at least 2 months until completely absorbed.
- Skin aging: the physiological aging process and the deterioration of collagen and elastin fibers, responsible for skin elasticity and tone, contribute to the formation of wrinkles, signs of aging and loss of tone. Bio-Oil can deeply hydrate the skin, giving it greater skin elasticity. It also plays a powerful one antioxidant action against free radicals. Bio-Oil should be applied 2 times a day for at least 3 months until completely absorbed.
* CH Dataview Multichannel, Pharmacy market and Pharmacy market + Parapharmacy + Gdo Corner, Anti-stretch mark reconstructed classes (82F2A) + scars (46A3), Sell-out Sales Volume, Mobile year ending July 2022.
** Study on stretch marks conducted by the proDERM Institute for Applied Dermatological Research, Hamburg, Germany in 2022
*** The concentration of rosemary contained in Bio-Oil is also safe for pregnant women