Diego, name for child
Diego is a male name of dubious meaning that has Spanish origins and is also widely used in the country. Especially at the turn of the eighties and nineties, in honor of the footballer Diego Armando Maradona, an explosion of children was recorded in the south of the country who were called Diego. Let's find out in this guide the meaning and origin of name Diego to un child.
Many saints and blessed were called Diego. The name day is generally celebrated on the following dates:
- January 15, San Diego de Soto, mercedary martyr
- November 12, San Diego d'Alcalá, Franciscan religious
- December 9, San Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, seer of Guadalupe
Baby names | PHOTO
Baby names | The origins and meanings of baby names
Varianti el paesene
- Females: Diega
- Portuguese: Diogo, Thiago
- Spanish: Diego
Origins and etymology of the name Diego
The interpretation and origin of the name Diego, certainly Spanish, is not very easy. It can lend itself to different interpretations:
- Diego may be a hypochoristic form of the name Santiago (Giacomo) adapted over time from the archaic form Diaco or Diago;
- in the Middle Ages the name existed Didacus, which etymologically derives from the Greek Didache which meant “teaching”.
Meaning of the name Diego
The meaning of the name, based on the different etymological interpretations, can therefore be:
- the same as Giacomo (and Jacopo), therefore "the one who protected" or "the one who takes by the heel";
- “Cultured, educated” because the Greek term Didache derives from the verb “to instruct”.
Video: Diego, origins and meaning of the name
Diffusion of the name Diego
Widespread in Spain, in our country the name Diego became popular especially in the South in the Bourbon era and then, as we said, had a boom in the last Eighties thanks to the fame of Diego Armando Maradona. However recently, after a relative decline of popularity, the name is back in vogue: according to the data ISTAT in 1999 1052 children were called Diego, while in 2022 this name was chosen by 3.008 new parents and the villagers.
Personality of a child named Diego
Diego has a standout intelligence and is distinguished above all by its great communication skills, charm and the safety that transmits. He is confident, optimistic and persevering. He prefers to trust his own instincts rather than others, he is stubborn and determined: Diego stops at nothing and loves challenges. AND' perfectionist, loves to excel in every activity he undertakes, is concrete and rational, but also extroverted and capable of profoundly enriching his interpersonal relationships, both from an intellectual and professional point of view.
Diego is charismatic and endowed with great charm. His elegance and kindness make him extremely attractive even towards women. He is reputed to be a Casanova, because he senses women's needs and is romantic and charming.
What profession will Diego do? All professions in the fields of marketing, commerce, business and finance are perfect for him.Read also: The most beautiful female names
The zodiac sign that characterizes Diego is him Scorpio: narcissistic, seductive, tenacious.
The color associated with Diego's personality is red which recalls the idea of the heart, blood, passion in everything he does. Red is a bright color linked to energy, enthusiasm, dynamism and perseverance.
Diego's precious stone is the topaz, a symbol of originality, it helps to acquire the wisdom and nobility of the soul. This gem has great power on the emotional aspect, relieves tension and creates an atmosphere conducive to reconciliation.
Diego's lucky number is 9, a symbol of people capable of everything, but also of concreteness and great intuition.
Famous people named Diego
- Diego Abatantuono, actor, comedian, screenwriter and the village
- Diego Colombo, Portuguese explorer
- Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, messican saint
- Diego da Silva Costa, Brazilian naturalized Spanish footballer
- Diego De Silva, writer, journalist and screenwriter el paeseno
- Diego Fabbri, playwright and the village
- Diego Luna, Mexican actor and director
- Diego Armando Maradona, Argentine football coach and footballer
- Diego Milito, Argentine footballer
- Diego Rivera, Mexican painter and muralist
- Diego Valeri, essayist and poet el village
- Diego Velázquez, Spanish painter
Song dedicated to Diego
We offer you the song "Diego" by Tory Lanez from 2022.
Names for children
Find out the meaning of these 10 baby names: