Birth alone is a formidable event, the birth of twins is even more so. Today it is very common to come across twins. This is because not only has the average age of women who want to have children increased, but treatment against infertility is very frequent. Let's see what it means wait for twins.
The woman who releases two oocytes and both are fertilized by two spermatozoa will undergo a pregnancy of different defined twins dizygotes; these twins will have an individual placenta. On the other hand, the woman who releases a single oocyte and is fertilized by a single spermatozoon undergoes a pregnancy of identical twins or monozygotes; There are three types of placental organization for monozygotes.
- For a small percentage the twins they may have one placenta each
- But usually divide the placenta and are separated by two distinct amniotic sacs if their subdivision occurs within a week of fertilization
- Or they may have not only the placenta but also the amniotic sac in common if the division occurs after the seventh and within the twelfth day of fertilization.
- If, on the other hand, the division takes place after the twelfth day after fertilization, the twins are declared Siamese, and they share not only the placenta and the amniotic sac but unfortunately also parts of organs and tissues.
The woman who is expecting twins is subjected to more frequent checks to assess the correct development of her children.
- When twin pregnancy has a single placenta (monochorionic pregnancy) it can happen that a child can feed himself better than his little brother. If the fetuses are monozygotic, it can happen that the two placentas do not work properly, causing a child to lack nourishment and therefore will grow more difficult than the other. In this case the woman is asked to intensify the gynecological visits to keep this event under control.
The visits will then be intensified based on the doctor's evaluation. If the woman's uterus changes prematurely, she will be kept more under control because it is a twin pregnancy more at risk of early delivery.
- Another problem to keep under control is the premature aging of the placenta, or placentas, which may begin to occur as the 37th week of gestation approaches. When this inconvenience occurs, the woman has to give birth, this to avoid any dangers for the children. Usually in the 36-37th week the woman undergoes induction of birth or a caesarean section.
Symptoms are common to single fetal pregnancies although fatigue, breast and mood changes may still be more intense than single pregnancies.
In the woman anyway prematurely increases weight and a sense of heaviness. Water retention is more pronounced than in single pregnancies, and the urge to urinate occurs more quickly and earlier. The woman feels more fatigued and perceives a change in tastes in the choice of food. Hormones, in twin pregnancies, will be present in higher quantities and nausea will tend to disappear later
However, twins grow and develop just like single fetuses and can bring out their little hearts as early as six weeks of gestation.
- At the end of the first quarter the increase in the volume of the fetuses will modify the skin of the womb and the maternal navel which will begin to be pushed further forward than in a single pregnancy. The skin can darken especially on the face, and the mother is advised to expose herself to the sun with caution using the appropriate protection. The woman must pay attention to hers weight gain. If this increases too much in fifteen days, it is good to talk to your doctor to assess the cause of such a sudden increase in body weight. He must also check that the belly does not increase too much in volume and if this happens (polyhydramnios) it is good to resort to an early medical evaluation.
In twin pregnancies, in addition to keeping pressure changes under control, it is necessary to observe blood sugar because diabetes is much more common in twin pregnancies.Read also: How to conceive twins naturally
The children's movements are perceived by the mother around the twentieth week.
- During the third quarter the woman is more tired, fatigued, and tried by pregnancy. Multiple pregnancies are subjected to early delivery and therefore delivery planning occurs around the 36-37th week of pregnancy biamniotic with choice of delivery based on the presentation of the children. Regarding monoamniotic pregnancy, however, the caesarean section is chosen. Two events can occur at the end of gestation: premature birth and low birth weight. For this reason, women and children are more closely monitored.
Twins can show up Podalites about Cephalites. Their position determines the type of birth that the woman will be able to have. It will be natural if the children are well positioned. Otherwise a caesarean will be performed. The mother will be continuously monitored to determine the health of the twins thanks to their good heart rate. A child may in fact present suffering and it must be clear that if this happens the choice of a caesarean will be immediate by the doctors.
If the mother can give birth naturally it is necessary to make use of the presence of an ultrasound doctor in the delivery room to assess the position of the second child; it may happen that it positions itself incorrectly and that it must be repositioned manually. Ultrasound is important because it indicates the positioning of the fetuses, and allows immediate decisions to be made even to urgently change the type of birth.
Usually twin birth takes a little shorter than a single fetus. The greater pressure exerted by the fetuses on the uterus accelerates contractions and reduces the time to delivery by 30%. The second child comes out faster than the first because the cervix is ready for expulsion.
The weight that the uterus has borne for a long time at the end of childbirth subjects it to immediate relaxation and it may happen that, by not contracting properly, it does not facilitate the immediate closure of the blood vessels that have opened due to the detachment of the placenta. The woman can lose an increased amount of blood compared to a single birth. You will then be given more medical attention in this regard and medical help will be given immediately if such a problem arises. The drugs to solve this problem are oxytocin and prostaglandins, which allow the increase of uterine contractions.
There is no doubt that the body of a woman pregnant with twins is more tested, but the birth of two children will repay the effort of waiting making the family full of love and happiness. Surely the difficulties will be greater, the tiredness doubled, but the children will grow up together and will keep each other company for life, and this can only make happy a mother who only wants the good for her children.