How to register for the new born, the complete guide

Who I am
Catherine Le Nevez
Author and references

How to register for new born babies

When a baby is born, there are a number of paperwork to be done, including the birth declaration and registration in the Registry and to the tax office, to guarantee the child his rights as a new citizen. The El paesena law provides for the obligation to report the birth of newborns to give them identity and legal status. It is the official communication that your little one has come into the world, and it is the first formal act of his life. In the birth report, the general information of the newborn (name, surname and sex), the place and date of birth. But let's see step by step how to register for new born babies.

Read also: Complete guide to the necessary documents for the newborn

Registration procedure for the birth of a child

There are two options for registering a new born in the Registry:

  1. If you have already chosen the child's name registration in the Registry can be done within three days of birth directly at the public or private health facility where the birth took place. It will be the Health Management of the hospital or clinic to communicate it to the Civil Status Office of the Municipality of birth of the child. You don't have to do anything, as everything happens automatically.
  2. In case of delay or if you have not yet chosen the name to give to your child, registration can take place within ten days from the day following the birth:
  • At the Civil Status Office of the municipality of birth of the child 
  • At the parents' residence if it is different from that of birth
  • At the residence of the mother, if it is different from that of the father

Finally, the birth declaration it can also be carried out in the municipality of residence of the father, if different from that of the mother, but the newborn will still be registered in the registry office of the municipality of residence of the mother. 

We remind you that it is not possible to give more than three names to the child. There are also gods limits for the assignment of the nomand regulated by article 34 of Presidential Decree no. 396 of 200, which deals with the civil status of citizens in general.

  1. It is forbidden to impose on the child the same name as the living father, a living brother or sister, a surname as a first name, ridiculous or shameful names.
  2. I foreign names that are imposed on children who have citizenship el paesena, must be expressed in letters of the alphabet el paeseno, with the extension to the letters: J, K, X, Y, W and, where possible, also with diacritics (umlauts, circumflex accents, cedija, tilde etc. etc.) proper to the alphabet of the language of origin of the name.
  3. Children whose parents are not known may not be given names or surnames that suggest natural origin, or surnames of historical importance or belonging to particularly well-known families in the place where the birth certificate is formed.

The boy or girl from now on will bear your surname regardless of whether you are married or not. The country law does not allow married couples to give the infant only the mother's surname. If you are not married and want your child to have both surnames, the mother must declare the birth in the hospital while the father recognizes him four days later.

Who should make the report?

It can be carried out by either parent indifferently, if they are married and they both recognize the baby. The declarant must present the identity card and if the report is made at the Civil Status Office, the birth assistance certificate issued by the doctor or midwife is required.

Birth registration for a child of unmarried parents

How do you register in the registry of new born if the parents are not married? The presence of both parents is required for the registration of the birth. If only the mother recognizes the child, she must be the one to report the birth. The natural father cannot recognize him alone. And if the mother has no intention of recognizing the child, the hospital's Medical Director will declare the birth of the baby and the mother will be guaranteed anonymity.

In any case, the declaration of the child's birth can be made by a delegate from the parents, with an identity document and a written and signed proxy.

Registration of the infant's residence when the parents have different residences

How do you register in the registry of new born if the father and mother of the newborn have different residences? As mentioned above, if the parents have different residences, the child will be registered with the mother's residence, if he is different from that of the father.

As we read in the Official Gazette, lArticle 7 of the registry regulation of the resident population, approved by decree no. 30 of 1989 May 223, states that registration in the registry is carried out:

  • by birth, in the municipality of residence of the parents or in the municipality of residence of the mother if the parents are resident in different municipalities, or, when the parents are unknown, in the municipality where the person or cohabitation in which the born was resident is resident entrusted.

Registration in the Registry of a child born of foreign parents

In the event that i parents are foreigners, the Registry Officer verifies that the parents are actually registered in the Registry as residents before proceeding with the registration of the minor in the registry of the resident population.

As we read about Foreigners in the country, minors born in our country of foreign parents follow the citizenship of at least one of the parents, as the law does not provide that they are assigned citizenship and country immediately after birth, except in the special cases indicated in the law itself. Furthermore, if the parents are holders of a residency permit, they will have to request to add the infant to their permit.

Registration of the newborn with the tax office

After the registration and the declaration of birth at the registry office, the child will be entitled to a fiscal Code which is issued with registration with the Revenue Agency. It is a document that identifies the citizen in relations with public bodies and administrations. The tax code is made up of personal data and an abbreviation, an alpha numeric code consisting of 16 characters, 9 alphabetic and 7 numeric determined by these data: surname, name, year, month, day of birth, sex, place of birth and a control code.

Usually the tax code is delivered to the parents' home, approximately one month after the birth of the child. It is attributed by the Municipalities to newborns, when they are registered in the registry of the resident population, through the electronic system of connection with the Tax Registry. In some Regions, the Municipality takes care of the procedure at the time of the birth declaration. In other regions the parent must go to theRevenue Agency of your city and fill out a form.

It is advisable to inquire with your Municipality of Residence immediately after birth to understand if you need to wait for the tax code or go to the Agency for the issue.

How to apply for the health card

The newborn automatically receives one health insurance card valid for one year, after the assignment of the tax code by the Municipality or an office of the Revenue Agency. At its expiration, once the data has been acquired from the Competent local health authority, the card with standard expiry is sent.

  • Citizens who do not receive it can contact their local ASL; if they do not yet have the tax code to any office of the Revenue Agency.
  • For more details, you can consult the website of the Revenue Agency or contact the toll-free number 800.030.070.  

Registry registration of a newborn born abroad

Children of citizens of the country, even if born abroad and possibly in possession of another citizenship, are citizens of the country and their birth must be registered in the country.  As we read on the Farnesina website, the compatriot can request the transcription of a birth by contacting the competent Embassy or Consulate, provided with these documents:
  • birth certificate issued by the Civil Status Office of the foreign country, duly legalized and translated
  • substitutive declaration proving the citizenship and country of at least one of the parents
Alternatively, the compatriot can present the deed, duly legalized and translated, directly to the Municipality and the country of belonging.
add a comment of How to register for the new born, the complete guide
Comment sent successfully! We will review it in the next few hours.