Very popular in the list of the most popular male names in the nineteenth century, Arturo is rarer today, however it retains its classic charm intact which refers to the legend of the famous King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table. We discover in this guide the origin, the meaning, the curiosities of this name for child.
Baby names | The origins and meanings of baby names
The name day is generally celebrated on 15th November in memory of blessed Richard Whiting, who is also called "Arthur of Clastonburgh", the last abbot of Glastonbury and martyr.
- Male: Arturino, Artù (hypocoristic)
- Female: Arthur
- French Arthur
- English: Arthur
- Spanish: Arturo
The etymology of the name is uncertain and there are several hypotheses.
- Arturo may be an adaptation of the Latin noble name Artorius, of Etruscan and Messapian origin. In this case, the sources tell us that the etymology is the same as the name of the Celtic goddess Artio, often depicted in the company of a bear (words like artos, in Gallic, or arth, in Welsh, mean, precisely, bear)
- another theory is that Arturo derives from the Celtic Arto-wiros, that is "bear-man".
The name, therefore, can mean "Bear man", But a star in the constellation of Bootes is also called Arturo and, since in Greek Αρκτούρος (Arktouros) it can mean"bear guardian " or "Coda dell'Orsa".
Thanks to the fortune of the Arthurian cycle and its protagonist, the famous King Arthur; the name was widespread in England and throughout Europe as early as the Middle Ages and then up to the nineteenth century.
Today it is less popular: according to ISTAT data relating to the most common names in the country, in 1999 only 69 children were called by this name and in 2022 there were 124.
Arturo has a nature serious and conscientious: appreciates originality in every field and never ceases to be surprised by the beautiful things that life offers him. It's a enthusiastic, always ready to make new discoveries and is very curious. He hardly lets himself be overwhelmed by difficulties, for him every problem has a solution and it is only a challenge to be faced with courage.
Arturo lives life to the full, it is ambitious, used to setting goals and making an effort to achieve them. He is methodical and organized and this allows him to be successful in everything he does. Thanks to his extraordinary perseverance he manages to achieve any goal. He takes heart, energy and tenacity and stops only when he is fully satisfied with the result.
It has a romantic nature, believes in true love and is very considerate of his family. He is a reliable friend, inspires trust and never betrays those who count on him. Furthermore, he does not hesitate to throw himself headlong into some enterprise whether it is to defend someone he loves or to help him get through a difficult moment.
What profession will Arturo make? Thanks to his artistic talent he will be able to find gratification in artisanal or creative professions, but he can also put his meticulousness to good use in precision work.Read also: Female names
The sign of Cancer is the one that is best associated with Arturo's character: he is loyal, generous, courageous.
Arturo is associated with the White, in turn linked to the idea of generosity, joy and purity. Furthermore, white refers to the idea of perfect balance and sincerity.
Il Diamond it is the lucky stone of Arturo: symbol of victory, glory and courage (Adamai in Latin means indomitable).
Il 2 is the lucky number of Arturo: the symbol of dualism, of the fullness of the couple relationship, but also a symbol of awareness and sensitivity.
- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, pianist and the village
- Arturo Brachetti, actor, stand-up comedian, quick-change artist and theater director el paeseno
- Arturo Bragaglia, actor and the village
- Arthur III of Brittany, Duke of Brittany
- Arturo Di la città, footballer and football coach and the village
- Arturo Dominici, actor and voice actor of the village
- Arturo Parisi, politician and the village
- Arturo Toscanini, conductor of the orchestra el paeseno
- Arturo Vidal, Chilean footballer
- Arturo Tosi, painter of the village
We have chosen to offer you the soundtrack, recorded by Christopher Cross in 1981, Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) of the film Arthur, directed by Steve Gordon and starring Dudley Moore and Liza Minnelli.
Find out the meaning of these 10 baby names: