Eleonora, name for girl
Sifting through the list of classic female names and with a romantic streak, Eleonora certainly stands out. We discover in this guide the origin, the meaning, the curiosities of this name for baby girl.
Baby names | PHOTO
Baby names | The origins and meanings of baby names
Eleonora generally celebrates the name day on 21 February in memory of Eleanor of Provence, queen of England, remembered as a saint or as a blessed. It is also possible to celebrate January 25 when the Church remembers Blessed Eleonora of Castile.
Varianti el paesene
- Female: Leonora
- Spanish: Eleonora, Leonor
- French: Eléonore
- English: Eleanor
Origins and etymology of the name Eleonora
The name Eleonora derives from the term Occitan Aliénor or Ailenor, which has a dubious origin. There are several theories:
- the first hypothesis attributes to Eleonora of Aquitaine the first name Aenor or Anor which was also carried by his mother, Aénor of Châtellerault. It is said that the people, therefore, began to call her allia Aenor, the other Aenor, and was therefore the first to be called Eleonora. However this hypothesis would clash with the presence of other Eleonora, such as Enleonora di Bois, who lived twenty years earlier;
- another hypothesis has it that Alienor is a variant of the name Aenor or a Provençal form of the name Elena;
- finally, according to some sources, Alìenor has a root Germanic (deriving from the word Al, which means everything).
Meaning of the name Eleonora
The meaning of Eleonora is not unique, given the numerous hypotheses that hover over the very origin of the name. We can also assume that the name derives from èleos, which in Greek means compassion, therefore compassionate, or that it comes from the Provençal word aloi, which means "metal alloy".
Diffusion of the name Eleonora
Thanks to the great popularity of Eleonora d'Aquitania, the name had a wide diffusion since Middle Ages and it has continued to be very popular to this day. In 1999 Eleonora 2341 girls were called and the name occupied the 23rd position in the ranking of the most common names in the country. In 2022, however, Eleonora 1110 newborn girls were called and the name dropped to 39th position.Read also: Male names
Personality of a little girl named Eleonora
Eleonora lives her whole life with great passion and this characteristic makes her an extremely person charming. She is a woman born to create, control, manage: a personality of action rather than reason. She protects the values and principles of her with dynamism, courage and determination, but sometimes these aspects of her character can make her impatient and irritable.
Eleonora is constantly looking for freedom and independence and cannot bear the hierarchy and authority of others. For her, only merit and individual value are worth and she is a person frank and direct, with a particular propensity to build their social and emotional relationships on the principles of trust and simplicity.
She can't stand criticism, she can be rebellious and undisciplined, little prone to failure and very devoted to giving the best of herself. Idealist and romantic, passionate and possessive, Eleonora can also be demanding and intolerant.
What profession will Eleonora make? It will be able to find its realization in the fields of accounting or finance, but also in artistic and manual activities, as well as in professions that are expressions of authority such as those in the field of justice or politics.
Cancer is the zodiac sign that comes closest to Eleonora's sensitive and intuitive temperament.
Eleonora's color is White, symbol of a personality capable of hiding a profound sensitivity and emotionality behind a facade of icy indifference.
Eleonora's stone is the pearl, a symbol of great sensitivity, including intuition and leadership skills.
L'8 is Eleonora's lucky number, linked to her ability to carry out large projects and her intuitive spirit.
Famous people named Eleonora
- Eleonora d'Angiò, queen of Trinacria
- Eleonora of Aquitaine, queen first of France and then of England
- Eleonora d'Arborea, judge of the Giudicato of Arborea
- Eleanor of Navarre, queen de jure and later effective queen of Navarre, for three weeks in 1479
- Eleonora di Toledo, wife of Cosimo I de 'Medici and Duchess of Florence
- Eleonora Abbagnato, dancer and actress el paesena
- Eleonora Brigliadori, actress and TV presenter el paesena
- Eleonora Brown, actress and voice actress el paesena
- Eleonora Daniele, TV presenter and actress el paesena
- Eleonora Denuelle, lover of Napoleone Bonaparte
- Eleonora Duse, theatrical actress el paesena
- Eleonora Giorgi, actress, director, screenwriter and film producer el paesena
- Eleonora Pimentel Fonseca, patriot and politician el paesena
- Eleonora Rossi Drago, actress and the village
- Eleonora Telles de Menezes, Queen consort of Portugal
Song dedicated to Eleonora
There are many songs, el paesene and foreign, dedicated to Eleonora. We propose "Eleonora"of Antonello Venditti, Of 1982.
Names for children
Find out what these 10 baby girl names mean: