La pregnant rhinitis it is a typical disorder of pregnant women which, according to experts, affects a high percentage of expectant mothers: as much as 60%. It manifests itself as a kind of persistent cold, starting more or less from the third month of pregnancy. It is not anything serious or dangerous but, since its symptoms are very similar to those of a cold - mainly it is the feeling of having a stuffy nose and, therefore, difficulty in breathing - it can be particularly annoying especially in cases in which it manifests itself with more severity. Often women who have never previously suffered from rhinitis can suddenly be affected during gestation, yet the phenomenon continues to be underestimated.
In this article
- The causes
- Symptoms of rhinitis in pregnancy
- Rhinitis gravidarum and hyaluronic acid
- Pregnancy rhinitis and risks
Excluding any type of viral or bacterial overinfection (common especially in the winter season and to which pregnant women are subject), rhinitis gravidarum has only hormonal causes. In practice, the hormones of pregnancy, or the estrogen and progesterone, they induce a hypersecretion of mucus in the nose and cause an edema of the mucous membranes, thus causing swelling and congestion. The discomfort is exacerbated by the contraindication, in pregnancy, to the intake of drugs such as cortisone and vasoconstrictors, indicated to combat rhinitis.
Read also: Disorders in pregnancy
Symptoms of rhinitis in pregnancy
We said that i symptoms of rhinitis gravidarum they are very similar to those of a normal cold, so those suffering from this disorder will experience:
- stuffy nose and breathing difficulties, especially at night;
- less ability to perceive odors;
- closed rhinolalia, or the nasal voice;
- mucorrhea, hence the constant production of mucus;
- very frequent sneezing;
- itchy feeling inside the nose.
Rhinitis gravidarum and hyaluronic acid
How to fight this annoying disorder without being stuffed with cortisone-based drugs or the common antihistamines that would be better to avoid during pregnancy?
- nasal sprays and washes they can help but are often not sufficient to resolve symptoms. The solution can be represented by 0,3% sodium hyalunate vials based on high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. Simple and without contraindications as it is a completely natural substance, present in the body and largely in the placenta This remedy is able to reduce symptoms and clear the nose in 55% of cases. As it not only improves specific symptoms but also acts by moisturizing the nasal mucosa and fluidifying secretions.
Pregnancy rhinitis and risks
Finding a solution is essential to protect both the health of the expectant mother and that of her baby. Rhinitis can cause potentially harmful side effects for both mother and baby. It can lead to breathing difficulties and sleep disturbances that can interfere with your baby's ability to get all the oxygen she needs to develop.
Scientific studies have shown that there is an increased risk of:
- gestational hypertension,
- intrauterine growth retardation,
- lower neonatal well-being at birth.
With the delivery and with the consequent return to normal of hormone concentrations, the symptoms of rhinitis gravidarum also usually subside spontaneously within two weeks. Only in rare cases, they persist and tend to become chronic.
- Rhinitis as a cause of respiratory disorders during pregnancy.
- Special Considerations in the Treatment of Pregnancy Rhinitis
curated by Elisa Santaniello